(Picture above is courtesy of this post on Serious Eats - their recipe is very similar to this one.)
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! A delicious, vegan, Mexican chocolate cake. Enjoy! This recipe is really from Mom, but I re-found it a few days ago and thought I'd post it...
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
¼ t. cayenne pepper
¼ t. salt
1 cup cold water
¼ c. canola oil
1 T. balsamic (or other) vinegar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat cake pan with cooking spray.
- In bowl combine all ingredients, and stir until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cook in pan for 10 minutes.
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
½ c. cocoa
6 T water
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa and water.
- Pour glaze over cake.
- If desired, dip small strawberries into glaze and place strawberries on to of cake.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes.