Enjoy the deep rich flavor of cherries with a little "zing". The hardest part of this recipe is pitting and stemming the cherries - be prepared for stained fingernails! I used a few drops of hot sauce instead of red pepper flakes and I substituted cardamon pods for coriander seeds. I also added a pinch of salt. This recipe is from Bon Appetit, June 2011
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- Bring first 5 ingredients and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a medium stainless-steel saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 minutes.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain into a medium bowl; return liquid to pan.
- Add cherries and rosemary to saucepan.
- Simmer until cherries are tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer cherries and rosemary to a 1-qt. mason jar.
- Pour in enough pickling liquid to cover cherries.
- Cover and chill.
- Can be made 1 month ahead. Keep refrigerated. Strain before serving.