1 c dry red wine, such as a Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon
2/3 c ketchup
3 T soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T brown sugar
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
4 lbs beef short ribs, on the bone
2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped
1. Combine the wine, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and pepper in the slow cooker and mix until smooth.
2. Add the ribs, submerging them in the sauce. Distribute the onions over the ribs.
3. Cover and cook on LOW until tender and the meat starts to separate from the bone, 7-8 hours.
4. Transfer the ribs to a platter and set aside. Let the sauce cool for a bit, then spoon the liquid fat off the surface and discard.
5. Pour the sauce over the ribs and serve immediately.
Serving suggestion: Scrub a few potatoes, prick them, and pop them into a 400-degree oven about an hour before the ribs are ready. When the potatoes are done, place one in each bowl or plate, gently mash with a fork, and spoon the ribs and sauce over top.