1/2 cup (100ml) golden syrup
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
3 T butter
1 T milk
2 cups (280 g) flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 180C and butter some pans
2. Heat the golden syrup to boiling point and then add sugar, butter, and milk
3. Mix the flour with the baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Add to the first mixture and blend well. Add a few tablespoons of water, enough so that the dough holds together and handles easily.
4. Roll or pat out the dough about 0.5cm thick.
5. Cut into gingerbread "people" using special cookie cutters or a very sharp knife.'
6. Bake for 5-7 minutes.
I couldn't find any photos of our gingerbread "people,
so here is a photo of our 3 New Zealand real "people".