Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Linzer Torte (from Cooking Class Cookbook)
½ c. whole almonds, toasted
1 ½ c white flour
1 t cinnamon
¼ t salt
¾ c sugar
½ c. butter or margarine
½ t. grated lemon peel
¾ c raspberry or apricot jam
1. Process almonds in food processor til ground (but not pasty).
2. Combine flour, almonds, cinnamon and salt
3. Beat sugar, butter and lemon peel using electric mixer or food processor for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy
4. Beat in egg until well blended
5. Beat in flour mixture until well blended
6. Spoon 2/3 of dough onto bottom of 10” tart pan with removable bottom pat dough evenly over bottom and up side of pan
7. Spread jam over bottom of dough
8. Roll remaining dough on lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin into 10” X 6” square. Cut dough into 10 X ½” strips, using a pizza wheel or sharp knife.
9. Arrange 4-5 strips of dough lengthwise across jam. Arrange another 4-5 strips crosswise across top. Press ends of dough strips into edge of crust and cut extra.
10. Bake 25-35 minutes at 375 degrees or until crust is golden brown
11. Cool completely in pan on wire wrack and then remove torte from pan. S
12. Sprinkle with powdered sugar
13. EAT AND ENJOY